Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rothenburg Ob de Tauber

Okay so I have been way behind on this blogging thing lately... too much school... and toddlers not enough time. Anyways this weekend I was going through a travel guide they gave me on post when I arrived here. I decided to just pick a place and head out... well boy did I pick great. I picked the most amazing place we have been to yet. Rothenburg Ob de Tauber is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. It is an actual medieval city dating back to 1142. It is hard to even take in the history surrounding you when you are standing in this town. And if you know me I am obsessed with history. This city was overwhelming for me... just soo much to look and and see.... it was impossible. Without being too long here is a bit of the city's history.


Rothenburg ob der Tauber has been preserved and protected since the Middle Ages. The town, completely enclosed by massive walls, remains as it was since medieval times. As you walk on the walls you will see over 40 gate and defense towers. Stroll through the cobble paved streets which are lined with half-timbered houses tilting up towards their crooked roof tops.
 
Rothenburg has 4 museums of which the most notorious is the Medieval Criminal Museum. If you choose to go inside you will find 1,000 years of legal history, incredible instruments of torture, prisons, and dark dungeons.
The most famous of the town’s 8 churches is St. Jacob’s, renowned for the Holy Blood Altar created by the famous wood carver Tilman Riemenschneider, in 1505.
 
During the horrific 30 Years War the Roman Catholic General Tilly laid siege to this protestant city, capturing it in 1631. The town was saved from plunder and pillage by the ‘Master Draught’.

So without further delay.. here are the pictures.. there are way too many because you literally take a thousand pictures of this place.


Main front gate leading into the city.



The countryside surrounding the city.


















Okay so that is going to have to do for Rothenburg pictures for now... but it will not be all. As in-love as I am with this city we will be going back at Christmas... if not before then :) But next time we visit it should look something like this.......



Oh the beauty......

Until next time I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow-za, wow-za! How absolutely awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW! you got me all excited telling about it and then i saw the pictures!!! it looks GREAT!!!

    Thank you for sharing and i hope you go back at Christmas so you can more pictures! hehe

    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just clicked on your moms link and wow. beautiful photos. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete